Friday, November 23, 2012

Gobble till ya wobble

I hope that all of you had a fantastic Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving had a whole new meaning for me this year. Before I was diagnosed with cancer, Thanksgiving was just a day to eat (way too much). I never took the time to appreciate what I had, or be thankful for it. I took everything for granted, including my health. Throughout the last 11 months, that has all changed. 

During my chemo treatments, I witnessed the most heartbreaking things you could ever imagine. I was woken up by a mother who was screaming for help in the hallway, because her daughter was unresponsive. I have been in a room next to a baby with a blood disease who had been in the hospital for over three months, and who's parents had been there only one day out of the three months. I've seen an elderly couple find out that their loved one had passed away, and watched them breakdown in each others arms. I've seen patients that had much, much worse diseases than I had, that were younger than me. I lost one of my best friends to cancer. All of this opened my eyes to how blessed I actually am.

I am thankful for my cancer, and for remission. I'm thankful for everything I've learned. I'm thankful that I'm not the same person that I was last year. I'm thankful that I have the best family anyone could ever ask for, and I'm thankful for all of the friends I have made who have been through the same thing as me. I'm thankful to live in such a supportive community, I'm thankful for Duke University hospital, my doctors, the nurses on 5100, and for Dr. Brigman, who took care of Henry and saved my life. I'm thankful for my primary doctor who ordered the MRI that detected Henry early, before it had spread anywhere, and I am thankful for my life.

The thing that I was most thankful for this Thanksgiving, however, is my new relationship with God. Before this, I didn't have a strong relationship with him. I would pray every now and then, go to church a few times a year, & open up a Bible maybe twice a year. I was selfish and never gave Him the glory he deserved. Now, however, I have a very strong relationship with him. He kept me safe while they pumped poison through me twenty seven times. He deserves all the glory for my remission. We serve an AWESOME God, and ever since I really let him enter my heart, my life has been so much easier. When I worry, I give it to God. When I'm scared, He wraps his arms around me. When I'm sick, He heals me. When I pray, He so graciously answers all of my prayers. I have a much better outlook on my life now, and I know He will be with me through every trial, and through every celebration. If you're walking with God, what do you have to worry about? Nothing, because "God's got this." (Right, Corey?)

Right.



2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one tough cookie Jackie!

    ReplyDelete