Sunday, November 4, 2012

What a blessed day

I am feeling so very blessed tonight as I reflect on my day today.

As a lot of you reading this already know, our community lost an amazing angel named Karla Allred a few years ago to Rhabdomyosarcoma. I knew her through church and basketball, and watching her strength and her faith grow during her treatments is what made me so strong when I went through mine. Knowing that she has been watching over me this entire time has been my strength throughout my journey, and I couldn't have done it without her. I always feel her presence with me. Even though she wasn't physically with me, I know that her spirit is what got me through my toughest days. This morning at church, I received an amazing gift from her family. Now, not only do I wear my cross around my neck, but I also wear Karla's. Talk about a good luck charm! I'm so glad I have an angel watching over me that knows exactly what I have been through. Karla and I had very similar cancers, which is so ironic because I live in such a small community, and sarcomas are so rare. I love you so much Karla Allred. You and your family have been the light and inspiration for my family and I. 

After church, I had more blessings to come. I got to have lunch with my friend Riley Schwalm, who is in 6th grade and is battling leukemia (and kicking butt!). I have never smiled so much while talking to one person in my life! She is so full of energy and life, and her happiness just reminded me that I have so much to be thankful for, even when I think I have it bad. The people that I have met that have battled the same thing as I have are the most amazing people I've ever met in my life. It's very hard to talk to people that don't understand what you have gone through, and haven't gained the wisdom that you have. I am so lucky to know the Schwalm family and be able to vent to people that know what it's like.

I ask that you please say a very special prayer for Corey Fish tonight. He has Graft vs Host disease from his stem cell transplant, and he and his mother Rene have been at Chapel Hill for several months now. They need all of the prayers they can get. God has a very special plan for Corey, and we all know the miracles God can perform. Corey's faith throughout his cancer has been absolutely mind blowing. It's amazing that the people that have gone through the most miserable times seem to have the strongest faith. Prayers for the Fish family, we love you guys so very much,

I also ask that you please pray for me. I am going back to Duke friday for scans to make sure there are no signs of cancer anywhere in my body. I am very nervous, but I have a good feeling about it. I am also excited though, because I miss all of my wonderful doctors and nurses!

Please pray for my dog, Zeke, who cut his foot open today. My dogs tend to be very accident prone.

Thanks so much for reading my blog. You guys are what makes it truly special. God bless.

Jackie


2 comments:

  1. If only the world could see life through Jackie's eyes! You are a strong powerful chick and I am so proud to know you, thanks for this post! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie you are so very amazing! I will be keeping all of your friends and YOU in my prayers. You are a rock star force to be reckoned with.

    I will especially be sending your strength and courage to make it through your upcoming scans. I just had a bone scan yesterday... i understand the anxiety that comes along with each test like this. Such difficult stuff we have to go through. But it DOES make us even that much more grateful for what we have.

    Much love girly. xo

    ReplyDelete